Friday, July 20, 2012

A life online


It's hard to imagine a world without the internet. So much of my life happens online, and so much is recorded there too. This blog is my own little corner, however rubbish I am at updating it. Facebook, though, is another story. I resisted joining it in the beginning, figuring it was just another 'thing' that would pass. But in 2007 I gave in and signed up, and despite occasional weeks when I try and cut myself off, it's been an integral part of my life ever since. As someone who is really bad at keeping in touch with people, it's an easy way out. And as much as I would like to say I miss handwritten letters and postcards in the post - who am I kidding, I never wrote any letters.


The idea for this page came about when one friend was going through another's Facebook profile photos. And I realised that they are a mini-autobiography all of their own. Facebook keeps them in a folder and it's super-easy to go through and chart out my life. So much has changed since that first picture in 2007 - not least my hair - and making this page seemed like a good opportunity to bring it all together.


35 photos on one spread is definitely a record for me. Also, a great opportunity to use some office-themed supplies. I know I can't actually use a typewriter to go on Facebook, but it kind of fits the theme. The Facebook logo and 'like' symbol were downloaded and printed on photo paper to make my own embellishments.

I love this. I love the grid of photos. I love the way it charts my life. I love that it feels like progress and reminds me how far I've come. And I am absolutely going to do another one in another five years' time.

No comments: