Sunday, July 12, 2009

One week later...

The internet and my PC have been conspiring against me successfully updating my blog...here's hoping it works this time!

w5-July-09-860ed

I love cats. And I love photography. So pretty much the perfect way to spend an afternoon is at a private leopard sanctuary taking 900+ photos of these beauties - and that's where I was last weekend. I've narrowed it down to the 48 best which you can see on my Flickr page
here.

At first I was slightly uncomfortable taking photos of cats in cages - even cages which are specially designed for photography with little cut-outs to put your camera through. These are wild animals and I really felt they should be out there in their natural environment. As the day progressed, though, we could see that the animals were obviously well looked after and their keeper really adored them. These are animals which just wouldn't exist in the wild, and the sanctuary is doing a brilliant job looking after them.

We were just a small group of ten, and after going round the cages as a group we were allowed to wander off and take photos as we chose. It was amazing just to sit there and watch a huge panther lie in the sun, with only the wire netting separating us.

A big, big thank you to Anna for bring a fabulous friend and organising a fabulous weekend.

No comments: